Friday, June 4, 2010

These Boots Were Made for Blogging



The phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Hi, it's Veronica from Our Lady of Guadalupe." (that's the parish I was youth minister at)

"Oh hey, what's up?"

"It's been a year and a half but your boots finally came in."

"Um, what?"

"Your boots......from Mexico." (I never ordered any boots when I was in Mexico)

"Ohhhh, okay." (having no idea what's going on I pretend to know what's going on)

So Veronica and I set up a time to come over to her house dinner. Forgetting for a moment, I looked lost when they reminded me of the boots. Out they came in their leathery glory. Regretfully, I thought for a fleeting second they might not fit. With every eye in the room on me I silently placed each boot on. To my surprise they were cushy and comfortable...and fit perfectly. The family cheered.

It had been a year and a half since I visited their grandmother in Leon, Mexico, the leather and shoe capital of Mexico. So during my visit I thought since I needed dress shoes, that I might find a great souvenir. I'll repeat that. I was looking for brown dress shoes. But here's where things get a little fuzzy. I don't remember saying a word or talking about cowboy boots. I don't know how they got my shoe size unless it was while I was looking for dress shoes. However I did not find literally any shoe my size. Maybe that's why the boots order took a year and a half. I ended up settling on a pair of sandals, of which I was quite content. Or so I thought.

Hesitant at first to accept the boots, now they've really grown on me. I wore them the rest of the afternoon with the family. And now every time I go to mass it will be in style like many of the others in the Guadalupe congregation sporting their own boots. Outside of that I am still unsure of when to wear them...unless of course there is a western themed party. Huh, I may have to throw one of those.

I am open to ideas, though :)

And to assure the doubters like my brother I do know it is not chic to wear the boots with shorts. I think I deserve a little more style credibility than that.

But that my friends is the story of my boots. They were made for blogging. Don't you think so?

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha. Oh, Adam. This would only happen to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can wear these boots anytime, but not with shorts.

    ReplyDelete