Friday, August 28, 2009

Milking the Goodbyes

In about five hours when the sun comes up I'll have to experience the realization I've been avoiding. I've been saying my goodbyes for weeks and enjoying all the goodness that comes with friends and family telling you how much you mean to them. Yeah, it's been pretty darn affirming. Now the tough part comes. Actually leave those good people behind. It's starting to sink in, as you can tell because ideally i'd be packed and asleep hours ago.

So before I start posting the newfindings of Berkley, MI and the good people there I'll take one moment to remember what life was like when i was milking the goodbyes:

3 separate going away parties for parishioners, family, and friends

Besides the people, the food was the better part of the goodbye get togethers: ribs, white fish, burgers and custard, chipotle, homemade pizza, bacon and eggs over a campfire (just to name a few).

Extra special notes and cards, hugs, phone calls and emails. Gratitude gratitude gratitude for such loving people in my life. Can't have a bad day when you're being told all the time how much you're going to be missed and why.

Packing can be Entertaining:

Do i take an extra bottle of contact solution? One less thing to bring or one less thing to buy on a limited stipend?

No matter how I look at it HALF of my suitcase is shoes: required black and brown dress shoes plus running shoes and winter boots and sandals reminds me more a woman's closet than my rapidly filling suitcase.

Flash from the past compiling old CDs onto my Slacker MP3 player and prepare for the future by downloading a trio of songs I'm working on playing on the guitar (Blackbird, Julia and Here Comes the Sun).

Time for New Beginnings:

I think this is my first road trip with just me and my parents. I hope I get to relive some of those out West road trips with mom resting her feet out the window and dad listening in on the CB radio to all the semi-truck drivers. I won't be fighting with Marc, Katie or Leah over the Gameboy or whose turn it is to lay down in the third seat of the suburban, but i'll be sure to have that family road trip crink in my neck and seat belt mark.

And so it begins!

All for the Greater Glory of God (AMDG)

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures. Yay! :) Lovelovelove, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. fleet foxes dance party with the girls on a monday morning reminds me of you. cooler temps makes me think of cross country and running through crunchy leaves. hope you find a good running route in berkley. miss you.

    ReplyDelete