Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Alllowing Autumn and this Vocation to Settle In

One of my favorite authors C.S. Lewis sums up thousands of years of theology of God and heaven into a very simple formula: "Salvation is taking a step...and taking another step."

There have been moments these last few weeks where I have thought, "Come on, is it really that simple? Is it true Lord, that all you ask of me is to move but just one step closer towards to you?" On the other hand, there have been difficult moments these past few weeks where I have thought, "Why do you constantly ask more of me Lord. Can't you see that I am confused, hurting, lost? Let me retreat to something more secure and comfortable instead."


This past weekend the 13 of us novices journeyed north to the Shrine of the North American Martyrs. It was there in Midland, Ontario we heard the stories of men and women who what it meant to take a saving step towards Christ. Amidst the wigwams and long houses we stood in the rebuilt chapel of the Huron Native Tribe, formally built in the 1600s. We listened to the story of the Jesuits who came from France and put themselves humbly at the service of the Huron people. We heard of the positives steps these men took towards learning the Huron language and in their evangelization sent word to the surprise of Europe that these Natives tribes embodied a deep spirituality and knowledge of God in their everyday life and customs. Unfortunately their work suffered a terrible loss when the rival Iroquois tribe thought these black robed priests to be sorcerers. Around 1649 the Iroquois attacked the Huron Fort several times and killed the smaller Huron Tribe. Among the dead were all 7 Jesuits missioned to serve the Huron people.

You can imagine that from this crude summary we heard and saw a tremendous loyalty to taking saving steps towards Christ. I was especially moved by this past weekend since Midland, Ontario was where I first felt the God's invitation to consider religious life. It was the summer before my sophomore at Marquette High School that World Youth Day was held in Toronto and thank God, our leaders had us stop and at Midland to hear the story of the 7 Jesuit Martyrs and Saints.

After our weekend visiting the Martyrs Shrine and revisiting the beginnings of my vocation story, I have found myself more at peace here at the Novitiate. Before the trip, my mind was full of many questions that could not have answers at this time. I am glad to have found a rhythm here and am taking those steps more confidently and peacefully toward Christ. We have been well on our way in our life here at the Novitiate. We are studying each vow of poverty, chastity, and obedience. Also, we have a Jesuit Institute class where we are currently practicing homiletics. Last night I gave my first-ever homily to the house. In addition, we have a humorous Spanish teacher who has already helped me to clean up some of my poor phrasing and slang. Next week I will begin orienting and serving several hours each day at a Nursing Home, at the Jesuit Retirement home, and also teaching religion for the Catholic grade school across the street.

Life here is full. I have not missed a daily liturgy of the Eucharist in over a month and with morning prayer together with the Ignatian Examen of Conscience, my prayer life is the best I can remember it being. The others guys in the house are wonderful and we make time to go out and explore the city together. I'm also preparing for my second marathon on October 18th. Please, pray for me :) as well as for Leah, my sister, who will be running her second marathon in Chicago the week before.

Finally, I hope to post a bit more frequently than I have, maybe once every week or so. If you happen to be interested in learning more about the story of the North American Jesuit Martyrs feel free to check out the links to the Shrine and Huron Center below.

http://www.martyrsshrine.com/index.cfm
http://www.hhp.on.ca/


Celebrating Mass on the Feast of the the Martyrs
The Reconstructed Huron fort

Group shot of Novices from Great Lake, New England and Canadian Provinces.

No comments:

Post a Comment